[AARA] FlexRadio Systems at Rayne Hamfest 2015

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Sat Dec 13 06:35:18 CST 2014

*FlexRadio Systems* will be coming to our 55th AARA Hamfest on March
20th and 21st, 2015 in Rayne, Louisiana.

Check out our website at:

http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/

Hope to see you all there.

Thanks

Nick Pugh K5QXJ
Office 337 593 8700
Cell      337 258 2527

*Helping UL become a world Class Engineering  and Educational School*

*Disagree I Learn*

DECEMBER 2014

Issue: 7-14

*THE FLEX INSIDER*

A Word from our CEO -

*Dear Nick,*

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR - President & CEO

As we approach the holiday season and a brand new year, the FlexRadio
team would like to communicate our sincere appreciation for a great
year. We are thankful for the support and encouragement so many of you
provide our company.  We want to extend our warmest wishes to each of
you and your families in this season.

This has been an eventful year for FlexRadio.  Over its course we
released SmartSDR^(TM) v1.1, v1.2, v1.3 and are near completion of v1.4.
Further, we announced and shipped the overwhelmingly successful
FLEX-6300 transceiver at the Dayton Hamvention in May.  It has been a
pleasure to hear from so many of you about how you enjoy your "FLEX."

Our software and alpha test teams are hard at work testing, tuning and
refining SmartSDR v1.4, which is feature complete. As communicated in
the last FlexInsider, we are placing a high priority on performance
enhancement and stability in this release to provide the best user
experience possible.  Steve's article below will provide more insight
into this process.

We know that many of you are eagerly awaiting the new features in v1.4
so we want to get it to you as soon as possible.  I find it humorous
sometimes to read all the speculation on the FlexRadio Community about
when v1.4 will come out, which makes me wonder if someone knows
something I don't (hi hi).  I guess it's just fun to hypothesize.
Seriously though, it's close but we won't ship until it's ready.

Happy holidays to you all and we look forward to exciting things in the
new year and getting to see our owners at the upcoming 2015 hamfests.

73,

Gerald, K5SDR

FLEX-6000 Engineering: An Update on SmartSDR^TM v1.4

by Steve Hicks, N5AC - VP, Engineering

I know everyone is anticipating the release of SmartSDR

v1.4.  The engineering team is still hard at work on SmartSDR v1.4 and
focused on providing the best experience possible out of the gate for
the new features we crafted.  I'd like to take a few minutes to remind
you of these features and what we've done on each of them to give you a
perspective on what they will do for you and how you might use them.

*FM: *SmartSDR v1.4 will be the first release of SmartSDR to incorporate
FM.  The FM mode is an important feature for a radio, but just having
the mode is not enough.  There are additional capabilities surrounding
FM that are important for FM operators.  Here are some of the additional
things we've done with FM to provide a complete set of capabilities:
  First, let's look at the traditional FM mode, a 5kHz deviation FM that
is commonly used on repeaters and simplex in the 10m band and up.  We
have all the basics for this mode including CTCSS tone encoding and
repeater offsets.  In addition, we've included a memory form to store
commonly used frequencies along with their tone settings and repeater
offset.  The memory form in SmartSDR is shown below:

There is also a column titled "Group" on the form that allows you to
group frequencies by function -- for example "City Repeaters" or "MARS
Channels."  The purpose of the Group name is twofold: first you will be
able to organize your saved frequencies by group to quickly access
frequencies of interest.  But you can also export and import by group
name.  This allows one person to maintain a list of channels (FM or
other) that can be updated for many users.  For example, your local MARS
organization may periodically release a new set of frequencies with
channel names.  When this happens, you can import that list, replacing
the old list in your radio, but not changing any other groups in your
list.  So you could have multiple people or organizations that maintain
a list and you can import all of these as they are updated.

The second FM mode is Narrow FM which is identical to the "normal" FM
mode except that it is 2.5 kHz deviation instead of 5 kHz.  Some
organizations are using the lower deviation to be able to support more
channels in a given bandwidth.  Finally, there is a new Digital FM (DFM)
mode. The digital FM mode provides the same 5 kHz deviation, but removes
the pre-emphasis and de-emphasis so that it may be used with digital
modes such as 9600 baud packet radio.

In all FM modes, once the mode is selected the DSP control on the slice
changes to an options panel (OPT) to change the FM options (pictured below):

>From upper right to lower left, the first drop down menu allows
selection of CTCSS tone for transmit and then the tone value.  Next is
the repeater offset for repeater operation.  Then the repeater controls
that set the offset direction or simplex and a quick reverse button.
  Finally the diversity control is available for FLEX-6700 users that
want to operate FM with diversity.

*LAN Remote*: With LAN remote you will be able to control, receive and
transmit your FLEX-6000 from another location on your local network.
  Notice the REMOTE button now present to the left of the speaker and
headphone volume controls in the image below.  When this button is
pressed, all audio is sent to your local PC for listening.

Notice that we have also added a separate Tune Power slider below the RF
power slider.  The Tune Power is the output power level when the TUNE
button is pressed.  This level can be different by band and so it was
sometimes difficult to know where the level was set until TUNE was
pressed.  Now you can see the level and adjust it before tuning.

In addition, you can enable your PC microphone (if one is present) as
the microphone should you decide to transmit voice from the PC by
selecting your PC in the microphone drop-down list as shown below:

In addition to these features, we have the

*FreeDV/CODEC2*digital voice mode (for more background on this mode, you
can visit this link:

*http://freedv.org*
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3XY2QJh35gTvA1HgApI2tklMuV2FeBCwhXPYMs829vDq7zzFyG2sLs2ZOnIyqeLS5aaY5eoB4M5EptpmlNtPwk9-61GTOmtSU28SOgMcBzfqheEZUjno9251XauRNSgr294DyVT4ty-OwscFOEJ7KMeNrh7LwL_YByR17_FUvohc8GXaJDUAczKjryiA2J9d9FKqJm7AmwK1jTxgZU4S-kMcn80ixWU0-uY3hSMCiXbII_ROK1e1WnXQzK2sb-1x0vhVRWto0l92EsnZR9AKAsG50tAwXrWRoDYOPtOAX23G&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>),
the *Waveform API* and an improved *DAX Control Panel*.  Each of these
features was covered in detail in the last FlexInsider.

LAN remote has required more effort than we originally estimated.  We
ended up working on several key systems and streamlining them (software
engineers call this "refactoring") to ensure the best quality of audio
through the remote LAN.   We were hoping to be able to release v1.4
before the end of the year and we continue to see this requested -- we
would love to be able to do it.  From where I sit now, I can say that we
have done most of the refactoring work and are poised to finish up this
work and start testing in earnest this next week, but I don't believe we
will get enough testing time to ensure that the code is stable enough to
release before the end of the year.  We are currently targeting January
30th for the release and feel confident we will hit this deadline.
  Trust me, we're all disappointed that this is the answer and we're
working to get you a great v1.4 as soon as we can.  Our unchanged goal
is to deliver you the best radio equipment and software available and
sometimes this takes more time than we originally forecasted.

73,

Steve

FlexRadio Holiday News

by Greg Jurrens, K5GJ - VP, Sales & Bus Dev

Happy Holidays from the FlexRadio team!  It's been a great year and we
sincerely appreciate having customers like you as part of our FlexRadio
family.  The elves here at Santa's Austin workshop have been busy
building FlexRadio toys to fulfill your holiday wish list!.

I want to tell you about a great last minute opportunity plus share some
important holiday dates and deadlines:

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3VjOLdA1PSdEn_1glHWMKndU-qI5j9eGP6-_P97yh8gcgt5vhL-Bn6LH1qNsk0mQ4LS1AMo1n_Dz-eNMm-wZguG_xR8YFZIaehUCsm1RvrF0z0V8Kb6xVYXDiCdf9g--owHYFyr-qxrPLmI9NWPG0EkMXRYnHBV1ZSBteqz0Mnassb6adoI1YJbS9HixJdBzMJ9V0VFmTZ-iX4Ba7OkuFgrxyboI4FEoqtAjpZ7GSY2XhVQB6PchUSAnJz7I3gcCxWeWoesJYjUYE8kBwJyahWEqWxqCAcCFM15PQgmVvOVlMYE0heTWT9w=&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>

To help you with your last minute shopping, we're running a last minute
Holiday Sale on selected FlexRadio products. Here are the deals:

  * *FLEX-1500: $649.00 (Regularly $699.00)*
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3VentxaSFSBvLEVaE8Hb2sPi6NVZnCs_hnwou0Rsc-AuMj8YTRvsTFDFqrujS59nSts-QjeixQcYFHASd2QuI1-1C5N1Iz0JIiEmxVV88XVCgQGLORWfUK8xcgePAKph1CoXwqXaVWFvyAi6-IhfoC9BH561gRlhNQiuGZhSdmHP7_Vr1TMYZ6sjk8Uun-qW5ajvm4A0eLuA5-AnWizi8dYSjyqbAnF6Y-s2kfY1NAiUseMv_othN4fiJOO7rBEZg5zLg0KwP8fyQKnk4IvpSbjmsX2hakoyMJ9OQnU8oJpMXhEt3ydyhxOCyfuuAxWwY2jPRLzyS6c6JKiz2De1LL0=&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>
  * *Free FlexControl (valued at $99) with the purchase of a FLEX-6500
    or FLEX-6300*
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3VentxaSFSBvnI_qGSczXXSiIoclHgJL8rdvtgiYqoNh1SaTKwl0j2rAOQmNKFP9x4YqSAxXyPBr7ISarHaSjBhI69Qxbkpw6gDOghFbhd0gZAs-1dARE0tERl4a8Wq-GmviZssK4iVZYR5PZl7BRwNNdPAoritfUereWGf9VzdCiqO7Ud5Sn4HFQHAXVQZx6Zb_9B0JahVF1fiTlwZPRMBytXurPfP2RHZvMk3OL52sO8bsCELEuVY4KqZ-cjq40IY29pJ7B4G9_LBmNeO8hWrV9uFXuK1oLIe8ewoyKb8T7tCXzNTIVEpo9NxjAPEhWTQdlvapZCuxX5_3IAxwxF-HsHrnB546TjgxPnAZWx98llp0h3l3vbdXapVkdeTatg==&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>
  * *Free GPSDO (valued at $699) with the purchase of a FLEX-6700*
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3VentxaSFSBvMpTXp5xQPtqFpJKJsuzXkl1WYLCPIHiOU5qaXqGFtzX0RL9NAMmVirsloKv50_czX5JnWL78FY0Vr5FuSj4_OhVmEbkogkA_UYpfw0yXluvb3unEmCT_iVs6ksNML2_xyCSRIM8qPbKPb1A3bd7idWfZeeuE98lozYgssOKY_d2jht6Y8NLsp5mSyoEdQE-CflXk7Tgj4UCSTQwYZcVGoMcmjVhCn8J78wqQoW5RksCv-Y2IYbOxc_xtV-pMF9ZHAM2t-QeiXvSbgQA5puiC4kQk1e2I273TdG43c3DXmVbQEsGI46P1KaWDe94h6bfuLS2JqXshCJIJ9MKoXiUkv6rkOFubXw-PCMmJYsdo4svqkcJ1vtBBdQ==&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>

and

  * *Free UPS Ground shipping offered on all orders over $99*. *

Follow the links or give us a call to get your new toy on the way!
  Already own the best FlexRadio on the planet?  Well... Spread some
holiday cheer and let your friends know about the great specials from
FlexRadio.  Thank you for helping us grow the FlexRadio family!

Below are the estimated last order dates for all orders by shipping
method to ensure delivery by December 24.  Note, these apply for US
deliveries.  Please consult with your local distributor for
International shipping.

*_UPS _*

  * Ground: Place order by Monday 12/15 for delivery by 12/24
  * 3-day: Place order by Wednesday 12/17
  * 2-day: Place order by Thursday 12/18
  * Next Day: Place order by Monday 12/22

*_FedEx_*

  * Ground: Place order by Monday 12/15
  * Express Saver: Place order by Wednesday 12/17
  * 2-day: Place order by Thursday 12/18
  * Overnight: Place order by Friday 12/19

*_USPS_*

  * Priority Mail: Place order by Wednesday 12/17
  * Express Mail: Place order by Friday 12/19
  * Priority Mail International: Not recommended for delivery by 12/24
  * Express Mail International: Place order by Tuesday 12/16

So hurry or you might get coal in your stocking!

Here's the FINE Print:

*Only applies to delivery within the contiguous 48 United States

Order delivery time varies by location and does not account for
unforeseen carrier delays. Ground shipping with delivery by December 24
is only conditionally guaranteed if order is placed by December 15, 2014
while supplies last.

We hope you have a great holiday season and great propagation at your QTH.

73s,

- Greg

*In This Issue *

*Engineering Update: An Update on SmartSDR v1.4
<mailbox:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/KN5GRK/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/nrfy7397.default/Mail/pop3.lusfiber.net/Inbox?number=41749740#LETTER.BLOCK83>*

*FlexRadio Holiday News
<mailbox:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/KN5GRK/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/nrfy7397.default/Mail/pop3.lusfiber.net/Inbox?number=41749740#LETTER.BLOCK106>*

*Upcoming Events*

January 23-25, 2015
Puerto Rico Convention
Hatillo, PR

January 10

Ham Radio Fiesta

San Antonio, TX

February 13-15

Hamcation

Orlando, FL

February 20-22

Yuma Hamfest

Yuma, AZ

March 13-15
Acadiana Hamfest
Rayne, LA

March 28
Greater Houston Hamfest
Rosenberg, TX

March 28
Ham-EX 2015
Brampton Fall Fairgrounds
Canada

FlexRadio Systems
4616 W. Howard Lane, Ste. 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
512-535-4713(main), 512-233-5143 (fax)

www.flexradio.com
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001stDHrgHK65sC_DWDIVy_3hO1r-UtiyJsxhiBTDe3f7MmB2N1qjnD3VjOLdA1PSdEn_1glHWMKndU-qI5j9eGP6-_P97yh8gcgt5vhL-Bn6LH1qNsk0mQ4LS1AMo1n_Dz-eNMm-wZguG_xR8YFZIaehUCsm1RvrF0z0V8Kb6xVYXDiCdf9g--owHYFyr-qxrPLmI9NWPG0EkMXRYnHBV1ZSBteqz0Mnassb6adoI1YJbS9HixJdBzMJ9V0VFmTZ-iX4Ba7OkuFgrxyboI4FEoqtAjpZ7GSY2XhVQB6PchUSAnJz7I3gcCxWeWoesJYjUYE8kBwJyahWEqWxqCAcCFM15PQgmVvOVlMYE0heTWT9w=&c=B7vjnMjaQOMwRaoGX_6DNPwUJUX6qV72azJtm8ypPA8O6e61omlIkw==&ch=ZkNHz8RYTcy_T5BGn-shmq08UXRK3uPN6vA3GH8xo8n8bJi2UwnEIw==>
/ sales at flexradio.com <mailto:sales at flexradio.com>

Copyright 2014. FlexRadio Systems is a registered trademark and SmartSDR
is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems. All Rights Reserved. Information
contained in this newsletter is the
sole property of FlexRadio Systems and may not be distributed or posted
without the express permission of FlexRadio Systems.

*Forward this email
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=arkyw4jab&m=1110239357472&ea=quadpugh%40bellsouth.net&a=1119458458013>*

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001z7qDK9JZZQn0P2YoJ7LFXg%3D%3D&ch=61515360-7d8c-11e3-ab89-d4ae529ce48a&ca=e52256f1-74d5-497d-9b7e-97c5ee18fc33>

This email was sent to quadpugh at bellsouth.net
<mailto:quadpugh at bellsouth.net> by flexinsider at flex-radio.com
<mailto:flexinsider at flex-radio.com> |

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001z7qDK9JZZQn0P2YoJ7LFXg%3D%3D&ch=61515360-7d8c-11e3-ab89-d4ae529ce48a&ca=e52256f1-74d5-497d-9b7e-97c5ee18fc33>
<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001z7qDK9JZZQn0P2YoJ7LFXg%3D%3D&ch=61515360-7d8c-11e3-ab89-d4ae529ce48a&ca=e52256f1-74d5-497d-9b7e-97c5ee18fc33>^(TM)
|Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.

<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=TEM_Assoc_200>

FlexRadio Systems| 4616 W. Howard Lane| Ste. 1-150| Austin| Texas| 78728