[AARA] WW1USA Special Event Station

Herman Campbell Kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Sat Dec 27 10:45:47 CST 2014

I thought y'all might be interested in this special event station. So I
am forwarding this to you!

Herman
KN5GRK

    Default WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air, December 27th
    and 28th

    */Merry Christmas!/

    WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air, December 27th and 28th*

    One-Hundred years ago, a great war was raging across Europe.
    Regardless of this conflict, a small miracle of peace occurred over
    the battlefield on Christmas Eve 1914. The Christmas truce (German:
    Weihnachtsfrieden; French: Trêve de Noël) was a series of
    widespread, unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western
    Front around Christmas 1914, during World War I. Through the week
    leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers
    began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their
    trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that
    individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers
    bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers
    from both sides—as well as, to a lesser degree, from French
    units—independently ventured into "no man's land", where they
    mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial
    ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from
    both sides were also friendly enough to play games of football with
    one another, in one of the truce's most enduring images.

    Special Event Station WW1USA of the National World War I Museum at
    Liberty Memorial will be on the air at Kansas City, Missouri to
    commemorate this historic event. The Warrensburg Area Amateur Radio
    Club will sponsor this special operating event at the museum, with
    assistance from the Joplin Amateur Radio Club from 15:00 UTC on
    December 27th through 22:00 UTC on December 28th. All Amateur Radio
    Operators from around the world are invited to participate in this
    Special Event by contacting WW1USA on the radio. If you’re in Kansas
    City during the Special Event, all Amateur Radio operators who
    present an operator license will receive $5 admission to the Museum
    for themselves and up to three guests. (No other discounts apply.)

    Stations making contact with WW1USA during the Special Event can
    request a Contact Certificate through the ww1usa.org website,
    December 27, 2014, through January 30, 2015. A QSL Card can be
    obtained via mail by sending SASE or by providing other return
    postage. You can also obtain an Electronic QSL Card via eQSL.

    For more details, please visit http://ww1usa.org