[AARA] AARA News

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Wed Mar 19 06:45:26 CDT 2014

*NOTICE - MARCH AARA GENERAL MEETING*

      The General Acadiana Amateur Radio Association, Inc. (AARA) March
Meeting will be on /*Saturday March 22nd at 6:00 PM */
at the Red Cross Building, 101 N. Pat St., Scott, LA.
      This will be our "Hamfest Banquet" held on Saturday after our AARA
Hamfest.  It will be a "Covered Dish Affair", everyone is asked to bring
some kind of covered dish, the club will furnish the main entrée and
soft drinks.
      At this meeting, we will install newly elected officers and have a
hamfest report, enjoy food and fellowship.
*No VE Testing - This was done at the Hamfest*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*SkyWarn Storm Spotter Class*

      There will be a SkyWarn Storm Spotter Class on Wednesday April 2,
2014 at 10:00 AM.  Roger Erickson KD5BUI of the Lake
Charles National Weather Service will conduct the session. The location
is Abdalla Hall, 635 Cajundome Blvd., Lafayette,
Louisiana.
     To register, contact: Lafayette OHSEP at 337-291-5075 or
eoc at lafayettela.gov
For more information, contact: Roger Erickson, National Weather Service,
337-477-5285 x 223
or roger.erickson at noaa.gov
*Topics Covered:*
. Background on NWS operations and mission
. Weather observations-satellite, weather balloon, radar and surface reports
. NWS communication of bad weather
. Severe weather definitions and safety tips
. Local severe storm history
. Cloud formations vs. type of severe weather
. How to report severe weather to the NWS