[AARA] Graham Smith K5MPB - Silent Key

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Tue May 27 19:47:27 CDT 2014

Well, looks like we have lost another one of our long time local hams.
I received a short notice and have not
had time do a article so I am sending what I have from the funeral home at:

http://www.mourning.com/obituaries/Graham-Smith/#!/PhotosVideos

Herman
KN5GRK
<javascript:void(0);>
<http://www.mourning.com/store/?icn=memorial_profile_picture&icc=fs_store>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Graham Newton Smith - K5MPB

January 31, 1947 - May 26, 2014

    Obituary for Graham Newton Smith

http://www.mourning.com/obituaries/Graham-Smith/memorial/picture/main/graham-smith-obituary.jpg

/Funeral services will be held on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at an 11:00 AM
Mass of Christian Burial in Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church in
Lafayette for Graham Newton Smith, 67, who died on Monday, May 26, 2014
at Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center in Lafayette surrounded
by his family.

Interment will be in Holy Mary Mother of God Cemetery.

Reverend F. Hampton Davis, III, Pastor of Our Lady Queen of Peace
Catholic Church, will be the Celebrant of the funeral Mass and will
conduct the funeral services. Lectors will be Genie Summers and Marilyn
DeMahy. Giftbearers will be Alessandra Tarazona, Ethan Fielding,
Annelise Romero, Karalee Romero and Brielle Romero.

Graham Newton Smith was born on January 31, 1947 in Boston
Massachusettes. So, who am I? "By training , I'm a tuba player. By
experience, I'm a former broadcast journalist, Navy Veteran and one-time
novelist. By vocation, I've been the husband of my college sweetheart
and closest friend, Donna, for almost 45 years, the father of two grown
daughters (Ellen and Sarah) and one grown son (Andrew) and proud
father-in-law of Caitlin (Andrew's wife) and Ryan (daughter Sarah's
husband), and the grandfather ("Boopa") of five wonderful grandkids with
one on the way. I've just about finished the process of retiring after
33 years of practicing law. (It was harder to do than I thought!) By
God's grace, I had a totally unexpected encounter with His love back in
1986. Life has never been the same since, for which I am deeply grateful.

I'm a convert to Catholicism but first of all, a committed follower of
the Risen King of Kings, Jesus Christ. I serve as a Liaison for the
Catholic Charismatic Renewal in the Diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana and
spend a lot of time thinking, writing, and talking about how to
introduce others to Jesus, the most important person they'll ever meet!
I write a monthly column for the Acadiana Catholic called "Be Fire!" I
am blessed with the opportunity to serve as a member of the NSC Council,
a national body of 50 renewal leaders who help provide support for the
National Service Committee, which encourages and promotes the Catholic
Charismatic Renewal. It's exciting to see what the Holy Spirit is doing
around the country!"

Mr. Smith is also survived by four sisters, Pam, Barbara, Jean and
Jerry; and two brothers, Clay and Drew.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Fred Mims Smith and his wife
Marjorie, and Nancy Graham Smith and her husband Arnold.

Mr. Smith was a veteran of military service, proudly serving his country
in the United States Navy. He graduated from USL (now ULL) and also the
University of Texas School of Law. He was a past member of the Bar
Admissions in 1975 (Texas) and 1978 (Louisiana.) Mr. Smith worked as an
attorney with Onebane Law Firm since 1981, specializing in insurance
law, property and casualty law as well as workers compensation. He was
also founder of the "Good Shepherd Community." Mr. Smith will be dearly
missed by all who knew and loved him.

Pallbearers will be Andrew Smith, Ryan Romero, Clay Smith, Frank McFee,
Mark Leonard, Michael Keefe, Gerald Dunbar and Terry Boudreaux. Honorary
pallbearers will be Frank Summers and Terry Stutes.

Donations can be made in Graham's name to the Family Missions Company,
12624 Everglade Rd. Abbeville La. 70510 or www.fmcmissions.com
<http://www.fmcmissions.com>.

A Rosary will be recited on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:00 PM in Martin &
Castille's SOUTHSIDE Location.

The family requests that visitation be observed on Friday from 1:00 PM
to 9:00 PM and will continue on Saturday from 8:00 AM until time of
services.

View the obituary and guestbook online at www.mourning.com
<http://www.mourning.com>

Martin & Castille - SOUTHSIDE, 600 E. Farrel Rd. Lafayette, LA. 70508.
337-984-2811

/