[AARA] Quarterly Test of Emergency Generators at The Moody Company located in Chase Tower

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Tue Dec 28 17:23:38 CST 2010

*Generator Test - Affecting the 146.820 W5DDL Repeater* *on Chase Towers*

Herman, can you disseminate this to the club member list or announce it
on the next club traffic net?

On Sunday January 2, 2011, at 1300 hours The Moody Company will conduct
a live test of the emergency natural gas generator by an actual induced
power failure. This generator supports the main computer room for The
Moody Company, our energy support systems and the clubs repeater system.

This is a test required by policy and will be an ongoing test conducted
each quarter. The normal time for the generator to crank up, sync up and
go on line is 8 seconds so if everything goes well the club repeater
will be unaffected as we have a 15 minute battery backup sitting in the
middle.

The test will last approximately 30 minutes to ensure a good exercise of
the generator and will then automatically synchronize with the city
frequency prior to making the switch back. The generator will continue
in a ready mode for 5 minutes after making the switch back to the city
at which time will go offline and turn itself off after being offline
for 1 minute.

It is our goal to ensure that our emergency systems remain disaster
ready at all times 24/7 including emergency communication networks that
we support.

I would like some feedback from anyone who may be using the repeater
during the test and notices any failure, white noise or change of
repeater performance in any way.

Thanks for your help!

Joe Fain W5XJF

Chief Information Officer