[AARA] Black Bear & Birding SE Report

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Sun Apr 17 14:13:59 CDT 2011

*BLACK BEAR & BIRDING FESTIVAL SPECIAL EVENT STATION *
Franklin, Louisiana April 16, 2011

Thank you to everyone who came out yesterday for the special event.
We had thirteen members and one XYL come out to help, to visit, to lend
support for our endeavor and to operate and set up and take down.  Quite
an effort and thanks and congratulations to everyone.  Herman, KN5GRK in
Lafayette put this info on the LTN nearly every afternoon to publicize
the event, and Saturday morning on HF he and Ken, AD5XJ, announced it on
the Salvation Army Net for us.
It seems people in Franklin are a little more curious about ham radio
than those in Morgan City, and we had several people come by, ask
questions, they were given one of the CD's that Paul made up for
studying, given some old copies of QST, gave them cards so they contact
us later on and the reporter from the New Iberia paper was on hand to
ask questions.  The people associated with the BEAR Festival were very
co-operative and helpful and COX cable went out of their way to provide
internet service, thanks to Mike for being a BEAR and staying on this
issue.  From all the positive feedback I have received, I think we want
to be part of this every year .
I don't have an exact count today, but it appears we made between 36 and
40 contacts on a combination of Echo Link, 40m and 20m.  Not bad
considering band conditions and time of day.
The QSL cards will now be printed by the BEAR Festival committee,  the
tourist commission will supply us with envelopes and tourist folders to
put in each envelope, and then the info needs to be put on the QSL
cards, addresses added to the envelopes and the tourist commission will
supply the postage.  Three or four of us can get together at the club
after all this is ready, and knock this out in short time.
Again, thank each of you for your support.
Mike's camera died, but I did get to take a few pictures, so everyone
can get a little bit of an idea how we were set up.
73
Jackie