[AARA] AARA 53rd Hamfest (Final Update)

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Thu Mar 7 06:45:22 CST 2013

PLEASE HELP TO SPREAD THE WORD - THANKS!

AARA 53rd Hamfest Update
March 8th & 9th, 2013 - Rayne, Louisiana

_*FIRST UPDATE:*_

*FELLOW  HAM's:*

As most of you know we have a "*Sold Out*" show again this year.  We are
expanding into the second hall and are currently still taking swap table
reservation, pending table availability from an outside source.  Because
our hamfest is sold out we are allowing "*TAILGATING*" with the purchase
of an admission ticket.  Parking spaces for tailgating will be in the
front of the main building.  We have a limited amount of spaces and are
first come first served bases.  We will have a *SILENT AUCTION* again
this year.   Starting at 1000 on Saturday we will be showing ARRL movies
in the Cafe CQ.  The following movies will be rotated during the day,
/2009 DXpecition Desecheo Island,  Amateur Radio Today,  and Emergency
Communications/. _As a reminder, only badge-holders are allowed in the
event center prior to "General Public" operating hours_.   Listed below
are some additional updates to our hamfest.

*Schedule Addition:*

AARA is happy to announce that Bob Hardie W5UQ will give a presentation
on his DXpedition to Montserrat in July 2012.  Bob's presentation will
be from 1800 to 1900 on Friday in our forum room. If you are unable to
attend Bob's presentation on Friday, he will have a power point
presentation showing at his table on Saturday. Bob has also been on the
following DXpeditions:  VP2EEU Anguilla Feb. 1996,   ZF2UQ Grand Caymans
twice July and Oct 2011, HP0/W5UQ/MM2 on Carnival Cruise Ship Oct 2011,
and  VP2MUQ Montserrat w/Bill VP2MSJ, July 2012.

*Additional Attendees:*

*NEW:*
Frank Krize K5SVC will be attending our hamfest.  Frank has been in
business for 50 plus years specializing in surplus electronic parts and
tubes.  Frank has over 1 million tubes in stock, but only brings the
more common tubes to hamfest.  If you are having problems finding a rare
tube, or just want to make sure Frank will have the common tube you are
looking for with him at our hamfest, give Frank a call at 601-442-0973.

Hub City Amateur Radio Sales is already one of our vendors, but Jim just
wanted to let the hams know that he now carries /Arrow Antenna/,
/Tarheel Screwdriver Antennas/, and /Peet Bros. Weather Stations.//
/

The American Red Cross will have a table set up with information on how
you can become a member of a Disaster Action Team, better known as a DAT
team. Training consist of one class 3 hours long.  For more information
about how you can help in a disaster, stop by the Red Cross table.

AARA welcomes back "Poles & Things".   After a two year break Clint
Brosenne W3ARS will be attending our hamfest again. So if you are in
need of portable antenna poles, guy kits, nylon cord, etc. Stop by
Clint's booth for your field day supplies.  You can check out their
website at: http://www.w3ars.com/contesting.htm

*The following will have radios to demo at our hamfest:*

**FlexRadio *- Greg K5GJ will have a Flex-3000 to demo and possibly the
NEW Flex-6000 also.
**Elecraft* -  Hams Dave N4ELM, Jim N5IB , Gloria WD5CMA, Dick N5KIP,
and Dana AD5VC will be on hand to demo the K2, K2/100, KX1, and KX3 radios.
**Ten-Tec* - Hub City Amateur Sales will have an Omni VII there for demo.

*The following have contacted us and will be offering discounts at our
hamfest:*

*FlexRadio* will have sale prices on these radios at the show for
customer purchases  $619 (FLEX-1500) and $1599 (FLEX-3000).
*Palmetto* *Antennas* will have a 10% discount on all items with a CSCE
issued at the hamfest.

*Hub City Amateur Radio Sales***will have a 10% discount for ALL New
Tech Licensees and General Upgrades. They must have their CSCE to get
the discount. Also we will have the Baofeng UV5R Dual Band radio with
programming software, programming cable, Speaker Mic, and extra Battery
for $125.00.  We will also offer 10% off all Cubex Quad Beams ordered.
Free shipping on all orders over $100.00 for out of stock items or
special order items.

*Please Note: *Swap Table Reservations are CLOSED: _*
*_Crawfish Boil tickets are CLOSED *_
_*_*
*_/AARA Hamfest Website:/
http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/
/AARA Hamfest Flyer:/
http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/Files/AARAHamfest Flyer.pdf
/AARA Hamfest Pre-registration/
http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/Files/pre-registrationform.pdf

*
*
*_SECOND & LAST UPDATE:_*

*FELLOW HAM's:*

Well here it is, the *LAST**//**UPDATE* for the */AARA 2013 Hamfest /*
held in Rayne, Louisiana on March 8th & 9th, 2013. We are expecting a
record breaking crowd, so plan to get there early before all the good
deals are gone.  Bring plenty of money and items to trade, because we
have filled the Rayne Civic Center with vendors that will take both off
your hands and make sure you leave happy. Below are the last updates for
our hamfest.

Raffle Prizes- We had 6 Great prizes for you with the FLEX-3000 as the
GRAND PRIZE, but that has changed.  Thanks to Elecraft we now have 7
Great prizes.  Elecraft has donated one of their XG-3 RF Signal
Generators, bringing the total amount of the raffle prizes close
to$3,700.00.  An all time high for our hamfest. *THANK YOU Elecraft!*

FlexRadio Systems- Greg is bringing a complete FLEX-3000 that will be
connected to our club's Force 12 beam.  Here is your chance to have a
hands-on experience with a SDR.  He will also have his loop antenna
which he will use to demo theFLEX-6000 series radio.

Tailgating- With perfect tailgating weather in the forecast ( High 71
and 10% Rain Chance), we are expecting the first row of parking spaces
to be filled with tailgaters.  If you are planning to tailgate, do not
block any of the handicap parking spaces along the front of the main
building. Tailgating spaces will be marked but if you have any questions
about tailgating, please contact me.  Spaces are on a first come, first
served basis.

Admission- Our show is open to the public from 5PM - 8PM on Friday and
8AM - 3PM on Saturday.  Only people with table badges will be allowed
into the Civic Center before we open to the public.  Starting at 4:30PM
on Friday and 7:30AM on Saturday, you will be allowed to purchase your
admission ticket and avoid having to wait in line.  You will have to
wait outside until the doors open to the public.

We are trying to grow our hamfest, so if you have any comments (good or
bad) or suggestions as to how we can improve, I want to hear it. Be
careful on the road and I'll see you at our fest.

We have added a few things to our AARA Hamfest, please note high lighted
in RED.

73
Glen Thibodeaux KF5FNP
AARA Hamfest Chairperson