[AARA] Swaziland DXpedition 3DA0ET

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Tue Nov 19 06:55:39 CST 2013

Herman,

Please email this out for me.

I received this email from Bob Hardie W5UQ today, he is on the Swaziland
DXpedition 3DA0ET. According to Bob they have over 5,000 QSO's and one
of the hams on the DXpedition works CW at 79 WPM??????  Bob is the
gentleman that gave a talk about his DXpedition to Montserrat at our
last hamfest.  I think most of you will find this email interesting reading.

BTW- Bob is also the USA Expert Amp repairman.

73
Glen Thibodeaux
KF5FNP

-

To a bunch of my friends,

Shift No. 1: You will probably miss since it is only an hour 45mins away
from now.  I will be on CW from 1000 to 1200 local or 2am to 4am your
time today(Tuesday).  They just asked me to split a shift with someone
else..................it's 08:15am here now or 12:15am (Tuesday) your
time... you are probably asleep when I'm on this shift.

Shift No. 2: CW on air today at 1600 to 1800 here and your time should
be 0800 to 1000 or 8am to 10am Texas time Tuesday.
Not sure what band, but will be CW.

Will let you know when I know about other shifts/times I'll be on.  I
have learned the RTTY setup and will take a shift on it later.
Christopher Plummer, not the movie star, is on RTTY now.  HI.  Oh yes,
his accent sounds like Michael Caine, the actor.

I have been mainly on the building all antennas crew.  Today we will
erect the 160m vertical and also an 80 meter vertical. (DX engineering
aluminum tight fitting tubes) One we measured is 23.54 meters long. But
we may make it a bit longer.  One of the guys went to figure that out.
Will see.

The 80m vertical will be an inverted L to make up for its shorter
length.  So, right now, we have four HexBeams and several other wire
antennas. Example, 30M wire antenna.  A 6m vertical beacon is set up.
On the website is a telephone number for anyone to call if they hear the
beacon.  It goes to Hal, ZS6WB... I may remember his call
wrong...sorry...  but he is near Johannesburg and will relay the info.

We are also putting up a beverage antenna later today.   I hear that
they plan to put up two.  One a convenient direction that is not
towards the USA and later one that is more towards USA but won't be a
really good beverage antenna.  Not sure what they meant about that.
Accents cause it to be hard to hear all being said.  Plus they turn
their back to me and all I hear is mumbling.  HI.   The USA is to the
Northwest of here.  We have very little real estate NW of the complex to
run antennas.  It would need to go SE and would be long path.

We seem to be working MOSTLY Europe, Asia, Australia/NZ and Africa.
Very little South and North America stations so far.  I will check to
see if my info is accurate, however.  Will follow up later on spread of
Q's.

It poured down rain very early Monday morning.  Mostly cloudy yesterday
for putting up antennas.  Good weather for working. Not too hot but a
bit humid.  Not bad.  Today is cooler and cloudy so far.  Some are
wearing sweaters and long shirts.  A cool front must have come through.
It's not nearly as hot as it was when we arrived Saturday night at
midnight.  Sunday was sunny and hot.

We had a meeting yesterday and most problems were worked out. Everyone
seems to be cooperative.  Some have strange personalities... but to be
expected until one knows them better.

Lost power to some of the rooms last afternoon and evening.  Of course,
off air.  It was fixed. Then lost power to whole complex around 11pm or
midnight for a while.  Got power back during the night.

See SwaziDX.org/News for latest news.    With five rigs set up, we
should be increasing the Q's faster.  There will be 2 SSB and 2 CW and 1
RTTY rig.  With four Hexbeams, some rig will have to be on lower bands
antennas.  Hexbeams cover 20 through 6meters including WARC bands.

*_We are over 5,000 QSOs now. _*With one week, or more, left to go and
CW contest this weekend.  I leave Monday morning early on the 25th but
some are staying until the 27th with limited antennas and rigs setup as
we will take several antennas on Sunday afternoon/evening.  Four of us
will leave Monday morning, four more on Tuesday and rest later. We have
13 persons  on expedition.

DL8JJ, Emil, worked over 2,000 Q's before we got most of the other rigs
and antennas up and going Sunday evening and Monday morning.  He is the
one that is on the air the most of anyone. He was up all Saturday
night/Sunday morning(after arrival midnight) building a hexbeam and
erecting it.  Got some guys to stay up with him to help.
Then he was on the air asap and worked around the clock Sunday into the
night. Grabbed some shuteye and got back on as soon as he could.  We
were bringing him food and drink.

Emil, DL8JJ, is the guy that picked Frosty and I up at the Frankfort
Germany airport, took us to his home, and we slept some as he went back
to work.  He and his wife came home later and took us to dinner then
back to airport.  He's a great guy. His rig is something else to
describe.  I'll do so in some follow up emails, if you are interested.

He will work only CW here and can copy 85 WPM.   He is upset because he
can't seem to get over 79 WPM sending.   HI.  He is the youngest one
here.  I am next to the oldest.  Sam, from So Africa, who owns a Radio
Store near Johannesburg, I forget his call, but he is one year older
than me. His heritage is mainly oriental. He and I were the grunts on
building antennas for all verticals and we had several other people to
help build the hexbeams.  They went together much faster with people
spaced around them to thread the wires through the eyelets.

Most all is done on laptops using N1MM logging.  Wifi was hooked up
yesterday/Monday and Roger Jones, ZA6RJ, co leader of DXpedition with
Frosty, is trying to get upload to online logs going.  He's being pulled
several ways but doing a great job.  I thought they were going to link
the five rigs laptops together to collect QSO data.  But sounds like
that is not the plan now. Roger will collect the data and upload daily I
think.

He is also the one that uploads the NEWS on SwaziDX.ORG website.  Very
nice guy and never complains... well, not much. HI.   Hard to not
complain a bit with the conditions we've had. Not to go into some of
that.....   every DXpedition hits obstacles as you know.

See you guys.  I started to send an email to one guy and decided to
expand it to several of you.

Bob Hardie
W5UQ at  3DA0ET

Bob H

--
W5UQ.com .... and the beat goes onnnnnn!