[AARA] AARA Hamfest Update & News

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Sun Mar 2 18:45:08 CST 2014

*AARA Newsletter*

The March 2014 issue of the Acadiana Amateur Radio Association, Inc.
(AARA) newsletter /LARC/ is now on line
in .PDF Adobe Acrobat format to be viewed or printed in color at:
http://www.w5ddl.org/LARC/
Hard copies will be in the mail on Monday March 3, 2014

*NOTICE - MARCH AARA GENERAL MEETING*

The General March Meeting will be on _/*Saturday March 22nd at 6:00
PM*/___at the Red Cross Building, 101 N. Pat St., Scott, LA.  This
will be our "Hamfest Banquet" held on Saturday after our AARA Hamfest.
It will be a "Covered Dish Affair", everyone is asked to
bring some kind of dish, the club will furnish the main entrée and soft
drinks.  At this meeting, we will install newly elected officers
and have a hamfest report.
*No VE Testing - This was done at the Hamfest*

*AARA 54^th Hamfest Update*

*Greetings Fellow Hams:*

      As I write this there are only have 12 days until the Largest
Hamfest  on the Gulf Coast opens, and we have some Great news to share
with you.  Thanks to Kenwood USA and FlexRadio Systems we now have 8
Main Raffle Prizes worth over $4,000.  Thanks to Phil Parton at Kenwood
USA, we now have a Kenwood TM-V71A Dual Band Mobile
/*http://www.kenwoodusa.com/communications/amateur_radio/mobiles/tm-v71a*/
as a raffle prize.  Also, Lisa with FlexRadio Systems is supporting our
hamfest by donating a Flex-1500 HF/6 Meter SDR
/*http;//www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=F1.5k_features*/. With
the addition of these two radios, we now have three radios as raffle
prizes, with the Yaesu FTDX 1200 as the main prize.  I don't think you
can find a better line up of raffle prizes anywhere on the Gulf Coast,
bar none!  So if you want to win one of these great radios, you need to
buy a raffle ticket.  If you want to increase your odds of winning, buy
more raffle tickets.  Someone is going to win, it might as well be you.
The raffle ticket sales table will be located next to the admission
table.  There will be round tables at the rear of the hall, with ink
pens where you can sit to fill out your raffle tickets.  The raffle drum
and the raffle prizes will be located next to the stage, also at the
rear of the hall.  Good Luck!!!
      The City of Rayne has provided a few more tables for us to sell.
As on now, we have four left to sell.  If you would like a table contact
Galen Wilson at  galenw at cox.net  ASAP.  First come first served.  Our
hamfest will have  160 + tables when we sell these last few.
      If you have any questions for factory representatives from
RadioWavz Antennas, Expert Amps, MFJ, or Kenwood, you will have your
chance at our hamfest.  Be sure to stop by their table and visit with
each of them.  Phil with Kenwood USA wanted me to let all the hams know
that the radios in the Kenwood booth are Hands-ON.  Phil said, "feel
free to step up and twist the knobs on the radios." He will be on hand
to answer any questions you may have.
      Because we have expanded the scope of forums this year, all of the
forums will take place in the Green Room except  the Louisiana Council
of Amateur Clubs and the Ladies YL Group.  Louisiana Council of Amateur
Clubs will meet in the "Fish Bowl" and the Ladies YL Group will meet in
the Bingo room.  Here is the link for the site map
/*http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/festmap.htm*/.  The best way to access
the Green Room is through the rear door of the main hall next to the
SWEETS table.  While on your way to a forum you might want to grab
something to eat or drink.  The ladies will be serving coffee, soft
drinks, and homemade cakes, cookies, and brownies.
      We are looking forward to having you attend our hamfest.

Glen Thibodeaux KF5FNP
Hamfest Committee Director

*Friday March 14, 2014 Lineup:*
1700 -- 2000    Registration and Hamfest Door Opens to General Public
1800                Crawfish Boil -- Other refreshments on site (see
menu below)
1700                Fais-Do-Do -- French Music by the Texas Ham
Playboys, Dancing and Good Food! -- *ENJOY*!
                          A Wouff Hong Ceremony will be held after the
Crawfish Boil.
*Saturday March 15, 2014 Lineup:*
0700 -0800      Dealer & Flea Market setup
0700                 RV Park Registration Open
0700                Breakfast for Table Holders Only
0700                Registration Desk Opens
0800                Hamfest re-opens to General Public
                         Café CQ -- Opens for Breakfast
0830-1200    Bingo by Weston, KB5WI
0900-1030   ARRL VE Testing -- by Greg K5LFT (FishBowl Room). Please
bring copies of FCC License (no copy machine on site),
                           Photo ID, CSCE's and $15.00 cash.
1000 - 1100    DXCC Card Checking 1-  John Uhl W5ZE
1100                Café CQ -- Opens for lunch
                         Fox Hunt -- Nick Pugh K5QXJ
                        (Bring your    Fox Hunting equipment and see who
is best).
1400                Grand & Main Prize drawings

//*AMATEUR RADIO VENDORS THAT SUPPORT OUR 2014 AARA HAMFEST *//
//
    ELECRAFT <http://www.elecraft.com/> Hands on - Ham Radio Kits
    EXPERT AMPS USA <http://www.expertampsusa.com/> Solid State Amateur
    Radio Amplifiers
    FlexRadio Systems <http://www.flexradio.com/> Software Defined Radios
    Frank Krize <http://www.manta.com/c/mt7xc45/krize-electronics> Krize
    Electronics (Surplus Tubes & Parts) - 1373 Chapel Hill Road,
    Natchez, MS 39120 - Phone(601)442-0973 - k5svc at natchez.net
    Gifts4Hams / Plaques <http://www.gifts4hams.com> Laser Engraved,
    Etched & Marked Gifts for All Hams
    Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment
    <http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/> - Phil
    Parton (Factory Rep.)
    Main Trading Company <http://www.mtcradio.com/> Amateur - Commercial
    - CB Radios
    MCM-Computers <http://www.manta.com/c/mmf3yw9/mcm-computers> MCM
    Computers - Livingston, LA - Hebert McMorris WA5VPX - Phone:
    (225)698-3064 - hrmac at eatel.net
    MFJ Eneterprise <http://www.mfjenterprises.com/> Amateur Radio Products
    Palmetto Antennas <http://www.palmettoantennas.com> Antennas plus
    WOUXUN RADIOs & Accessories
    Poles and Things W3ARS <http://www.w3ars.com/contesting.htm>
    Military Aluminum / Fiber Glass Poles & Accessories
    Radiowavz Antennas <http://www.radiowavz.com/index.html> All Types
    of Wire Antennas & Accessories
    The Sign Man of Baton Rouge <http://www.thesignman.com> Custom Signs
    & Name Badges
    Hub City Amateur Radio Sales - Telephone 601-467-1458
    Walter Cork KI4TNN (Surplus Electronics) E-Mail: bottlestopper at yahoo.com  //

You might want to contact some of these vendors in advance if you are
looking for some item in particular so
they can bring it to the hamfest (might save you some shipping charges
later).

*Check the AARA Hamfest website for flyer, location or information or
click on links below: *

http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/

*Hamfest Main Page <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/index.htm>*

*Hamfest Flyer
<http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/Files/AARA%20Hamfest%20Flyer.pdf>*

*Schedule of Events <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/schedule.htm>*
*Ticket Schedule <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/ticket%20schedule.htm>*
*RV Camping Info. <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/rvinfo.htm>*
*Crawfish Boil <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/crawfishboil.htm>*
*Pre-registration Documents*
PDF Format <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/Files/pre-registration%20form.pdf>
Word Document Format
<http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/Files/pre-registration%20form.doc>
*Vendor / Dealer Table Info. <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/vendors.htm>*
*Vendor / Dealer Links <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/dealers.htm>*
*Swap /Vendor Table Info. <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/tables.htm>*
*VE Testing <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/vetesting.htm>*
*Forums <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/forums.htm>*
*Motels <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/motels.htm>*
Contact Info. <http://www.w5ddl.org/hamfest/contactus.htm>

FlexRadio Systems donated at Flex 1500 Software Defined Radio (SDR) 160
- 6  Meter (thanks to Lisa) to be
included as 2nd Grand Prize at our 54^th AARA Delta Division Conference
Hamfest. (Monitor not included)

Kenwood USA donated a Kenwood TM-V71A to be given away as 3rd Prize at
our 54^th AARA Hamfest.
Thanks to Phil Parton at Kenwood USA.