[AARA] Sign-up for W1AW/5 LA

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Fri Nov 14 08:14:34 CST 2014

Hi Guys,
Its now less than two weeks from our second turn as W1AW/5 LA.
Scott,W5WZ, is the official coordinator, and I will be assisting. Our
week starts at 00:00Z on Wednesday Nov 26 (6 PM Tuesday Nov 25 local)
and runs for one week. Last time, we had 34 operators participating from
27 stations. We made 28714 Qso's - 12,358 ssb, 11,263 cw, and 5093 rtty.
During our first week, we kept the schedule on a spreadsheet and updated
the web site about 6 times per day. While better than some, it made
tracking quick band changes and those wanting to operate SO2R pretty
difficult to keep up with.

For our second week, we have incorporated a very nice, totally
interactive web based schedule. You will now be able to set your own one
hour time slots! There is a link from the www.N5LCC.com
<http://www.n5lcc.com/> page, or you can simple bookmark
www.w5wz.com/w1aw <http://www.w5wz.com/w1aw> . The world will be able to
see when and where we have operators scheduled. If you would like to
operate, please take time to review the "SCHEDULE Guidelines" and also
the "OPERATING Guidelines - Stations in Louisiana" links . To keep
others from changing anything, you MUST be registered to log on to the
schedule page and choose slots. Registration info is at the very top of
the Schedule Guidelines document. Info on suggested logging software,
what to log, what exchange to give, how and where to turn in your log
and more is in the guidelines. Answers to virtually any question about
operating the event should be found in the documents, and there is an
email link should you need additional help.

Checking the calendar, our week spans not only Thanksgiving, but also
the CQ WW CW contest. Verifying with League and Contest officials, since
our operation will be from multiple locations across the state, we will
NOT meet the "Station Location" description - "All transmitters and
receivers must be within a single 500-meter diameter circle" rule.
Because of this, we will NOT be able to turn in a log to the contest
sponsor - not even as a checklog. Operators could, however, schedule a
slot(s) during the contest and take part in the contest as a "casual
participant" and enjoy some nice rates. Please contact me if you have
any questions.

Most states are posting higher numbers for their second W1AW/x week, and
Scott has set a goal of 40,000. We can do it, but *_we need
operators._*  We need participants during the day, as well as peak
evening hours. We need people on the WARC bands as well as the regular
bands, and we need VHF and Satellite operators as well as HF activity.
Its not hard, especially if you enjoy running a pile-up with the most
recognized callsign on the planet. Please check the web site, read the
guidelines, register, then log on and schedule some slots so you can get
on and operate.

73,
Mark, K5ER
k5er at k5er.com