[AARA] Crescent City Hurricane Drill

Herman Campbell kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Thu Sep 4 07:49:32 CDT 2014

Herman can you please send this e-mail to everyone...

First thing is, I got word from Matt KD5KNZ the Assistant State
Emergency Coordinator that GOHSEP / State EOC will be monitoring our
drill on Sunday September 7,2014.

Information on the Hurricane Drill.. 146.82 Repeater in New Orleans

KEEP IN MIND AN AVERAGE HURRICANE WILL TAKE 12 TO 24 HOURS TO GO THROUGH
THE CITY AND WE ARE GOING TO DO IT IN 2 HOURS.

The Hurricane Drill will begin at 6 PM and end at 8 PM. The Scenario
will be a category 4 Hurricane coming up the mouth of the Mississippi
River. In addition, we will have other scenarios that occurred from
other hurricanes such as levee breeches, tornadoes, flooding, loss of
communications with the state system etc. ALL AMATUER RADIO OPERATORS
ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT. REMEMBER WE ARE THE EYES
FOR THE PUBLIC.

We will post a Hurricane watch for New Orleans sometime around 3-4 PM
Saturday evening. On Sunday morning we will post a Hurricane warning
bulletin for New Orleans with a time of Hurricane net DRILL activation.

The Crescent City Amateur Radio Group will activate our Traffic Net at
5:30 PM. On September 7, 2014. The Purpose of this net is to assist
motorist & amateur radio operators who have decided to evacuate for the
storm. We will be giving directions on counter flow traffic and looking
for amateur radio operators to give traffic reports such as breakdowns
and accidents etc so the proper authorities can clear up and keep the
traffic on the interstate flowing. In addition, we will be announcing
which airports will be used for what purpose. We are asking for all EOC
Liaisonpersonnel and Coast Guard Auxiliary personnel to start monitoring
the air at that time for any assistance.

Everyone, remember when the hurricane net is activated please check in
with net control with your name, location, call sign. If you are an EOC
officer or a Coast Guard Auxiliary please indicate this as well when
checking in.

Things to report...

1. You can give approximate wind speed and direction ( Also Giving your Approximate
	location such as City, North, South of New Orleans, Metairie, Harvey, Westwego etc.
2. Report any power outages in your neighbor hood, including your city even your street name if
	possible.
3. Report any street flooding and how deep.
4. Rain fall total.
5. Report power lines down with street location,and name of city. (TREAT ALL POWER LINES AS IF
	THEY ARE LIVE.)
6. Report any tree downs and if the tree is blocking a street or fell on a house or building..
7. If you live near a levee or a canal you can report how high the water is  from over topping,
	name of levee or canal  location of canal/levee (closes street name) and city or any levee
	breeches
8. If you see a Tornado take cover, If possible give your approximate location, with street name,
	city, north, south ( and if possible give direction of the tornado or a Funnel cloud.)
9. Damage Reports, report any damage report for example my neighbor roof just blew off. (Give
	approximate location.) etc.
10. MEDIA....It is ok to report any of the above, damage reports, Street closing, Highway closing,
	flooding, wind gust etc  if you hear them on the TV, AM/FM stations. However try not to
	duplicate reports from other Hams who reported earlier.
11. Remember if we loose the link with the Hurricane Net we will link RF to Tangi ARES Net (Hammond)
	and all procedures will remain the same unless directed by net control..
12.It is encourage to notify net control when you are on emergency power, In
	addition, with your location.( city name and street name)

73's Joe

Joen5ozg at cox.net