[AARA] Report on 15 June 2015 Visit With Sulphur Amateur Radio Club Members

Herman Campbell Kn5grk at lusfiber.net
Mon Jun 29 20:41:45 CDT 2015

Report on 15 June 2015 Visit With Sulphur Amateur Radio Club Members

On 15 June 2015 I had the pleasure of visiting with members of the newly
established Sulphur Amateur Radio Club. This is a small club which
became an Active ARRL Affiliated Club effective 6 May 2015. The purpose
of this trip was to attend the Charter Club Party of this club which
took place at Hollier's Cajun Kitchen located at 1709 Ruth St., Sulphur,
LA 70663. Special guest at this event included myself, Jim Molan
(KD5IGG) as Louisiana Section Manager, Jim Bookter (N5NVP) as Louisiana
Affiliated Club Coordinator, and Mr.Chris Duncan who is the Mayor of the
City of Sulphur, La. Additionally Mr.Gary Stratton (K5GLS) as Assistant
Delta Division Director was also invited but, unfortuantly; had
conflicting obligation the night of this event.

The Sulphur Amateur Radio Club is presently has a total of twelve (12)
members and they seem to be getting off to a good start. Following the
club president's presentation and introduction of guests the mayor spoke
pledging his support to this new club. He provided a cost free place for
club members to hold their monthly meetings. The mayor also told the
club members that after the club has their 501.c3 status in place he
will help them to secure grants from the City of Sulphur.

I spoke following the mayor and had the privilege of presenting the
Certificate of ARRL Active Club Affiliation to Mr. Christopher Fuselier
(AF5XP) who is the club president. That being done I then continued and
shared information regarding Amateur Radio Emergency Services, the need
for a District Five Emergency Coordinator, ARRL membership and the
precentage of hams in the state of Louisiana who are members or ARRL,

Jim Bookter (N5NVP), the LA Affiliated Club Coordinator followed my
presentation and he spoke on a number of topics such as Club
Affiliation, club participation in the Special Service Club program, the
importance of various club members applying for appointments under the
ARRL Field Organization program, and then also about the need for
additional ham radio operator participation in the local Louisiana
single sideband and CW traffic nets.

Besides members of the Sulphur ARC, club members from the Southwest
Louisiana Amateur Repeater Club of Lake Charles, LA and members of the
Jefferson County Amateur Radio Club of Texas were present. All in all
lots of topics were discussed and I feel that everyone in attendance had
a great time. Following the meeting we then had a fine supper meal
prepared by the folks of Hollier's Cajun Kitchen and then departed for
our homes.

73,

Jim Molan (KD5IGG)

Louisiana Section Manager